What causes the increase in breast size during pregnancy?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

You may know that your breasts will increase in size during pregnancy, but it may help to know a little bit more about how and why they change. Simply put: As estrogen, progesterone, and fat storage increase, so does your breast size. As the milk-producing glands get bigger during pregnancy, you can add as much as a pound of tissue and two cup sizes to your breasts.

To prepare for breastfeeding, milk (and the precursor to milk) forms in glands and enters the nipple through many ducts, like a sprinkler nozzle. While it doesn't work for everyone, breastfeeding has long been known to provide many health and immunity benefits to the baby.

Besides their increase in size, you'll notice many other changes to your breasts as your pregnancy progresses.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Male Postpartum Depression is Real
Male Postpartum Depression is Real
Michael Keaton, in the 1983 film Mr. Mom, put a new face on the stay-at-home dad who wades into the responsibility—and let’s face it, the down-right v...
How safe is it to clean out a litter box while pregnant?
Medical City DallasMedical City Dallas
Whether you have an indoor-only or outdoor cat will affect how safe it is to clean its litter box wh...
How does pregnancy language reflect assumptions about women?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
The language used to describe pregnancy and childbirth reflects assumptions about women that set the...
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?