What causes the increase in breast size during pregnancy?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

You may know that your breasts will increase in size during pregnancy, but it may help to know a little bit more about how and why they change. Simply put: As estrogen, progesterone, and fat storage increase, so does your breast size. As the milk-producing glands get bigger during pregnancy, you can add as much as a pound of tissue and two cup sizes to your breasts.

To prepare for breastfeeding, milk (and the precursor to milk) forms in glands and enters the nipple through many ducts, like a sprinkler nozzle. While it doesn't work for everyone, breastfeeding has long been known to provide many health and immunity benefits to the baby.

Besides their increase in size, you'll notice many other changes to your breasts as your pregnancy progresses.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Moms-to-Be, Reduce Hypertension With Exercise
Kerry Walsh Jennings was pregnant with her third child when she won her third gold medal in volleyball during the 2012 London Olympics. Her husband jo...
How can I ease heartburn during pregnancy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
One thing you can do to help reduce the amount of heartburn you have during pregnancy is avoid lying...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
Can Petite Women Safely Give Birth Vaginally?