What type of fat can I eat if I want to lose weight?

Fat does have 9 calories per gram, compared to 4 calories per gram of protein or carbohydrates. But all fat isn't created equal. Saturated fat—the kind in whole milk, butter, full-fat cheese, and fatty cuts of red meat—makes your body produce less leptin, a hormone that quells appetite. But unsaturated fat, like that in olive oil and avocados, helps regulate your appetite. For instance, avocados encourage your body to produce more appetite-suppressing leptin. Swap saturated fat from animal products, such as butter, for heart-healthy plant-based fats, such as olive oil.

Continue Learning about Fats and Weight Loss

Lose Weight by Adding the Right Fat
Lose Weight by Adding the Right Fat
Former San Diego Charger’s lineman Nick Hardwick retired from the National Football League and from his daily 5,000-plus calorie diet that included sa...
What fats and oils should I eat most often?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Most often you should eat: Margarine that is “trans fat free" Monounsaturated oils: peanut, ol...
What types of fats should I avoid if I want to lose weight?
Ozgen DoganOzgen Dogan
Stay away from saturated fats (found mostly in foods from animals and some plants), like butter,...
Eating Healthy Fats and Fiber Can Cut How Much You Eat