Why does air come out of a tear duct when I blow my nose?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Gentler nose blowing, rather than seeing a doctor, is the solution to this problem. Here's why.

Tears are made in the lacrimal duct. Tears flow across the eye to lubricate it and then drain through two holes called puncta. One puncta is on the upper lid and one is on the lower lid.

These puncta are attached to ducts that drain the fluid into a sac inside the nose. This lacrimal sac drains into the nose. Problems can come up when air and fluid go in the opposite direction. The small size of the openings and gravity usually prevent this.

It is sometimes possible to reverse the flow with enough pressure in the nose to force air and mucous back through the lacrimal sac and ducts and into the eye.

But this is not a good idea. It can force infected mucous into the lacrimal duct and eye, spreading infection. Stick with the gentle nose blowing.
Harvard Medical School What to do about Allergies

Food allergies, hayfever, skin allergies, and reactions to pet dander: the symptoms of these allergies are different but the cause is the same: your immune system is over reacting to an ordinarily...

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

The Scary Truth About Halloween Contacts
This Halloween, are you planning to buy novelty contact lenses to give your Catwoman, zombie or vampire costume that extra oomph? Be aware that the le...
What Are Inherited Retinal Diseases?
What Are Inherited Retinal Diseases?
Inherited retinal diseases (IRDs) are a group of eye diseases caused by a person’s genetics. As the name implies, IRDs affect the retina. The retina ...
What Can Happen to My Eyesight After I Turn 40?
In this video, ophthalmologist David Demartini, MD, describes the serious effect that aging can have on a person’s eyes, and discusses the vision chan...
Why Dry Eyes Are More Common in Women
Why Dry Eyes Are More Common in Women
You might not think about how your hormones affect your eyes and vision, but they do throughout your life. "Hormones definitely affect your eyes from...