What should I do if my contacts make my eyes red and irritated?

Contact lenses can cause irritation for many reasons. If the contact lens is too tight fitting or too loose fitting the eye can become red and irritated. If the specific contact you are using has deposits or defects in it that may cause a problem. This is easily checked by using another of the same lens and seeing if you have the same reaction. Lastly you may be developing a problem with the eye such as giant papillary conjunctivitis which is seen sometimes in reaction to contact lenses. I recommend that you see your EyeMD to rule out any local eye problem requiring treatment. Then a short period of stopping contact lens use until any problems are resolved and symptoms are eliminated is necessary. After that a new fitting for a different brand or size of lens may completely solve the problem.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Aging Eyes Find a New Way to Read
Aging Eyes Find a New Way to Read
Finding it harder to read fine print as you get older? Don’t worry—you’re probably not missing anything. A new study shows that seniors adapt to their...
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
Swap your carrots for these eye-friendly foods. By Patrick Sullivan Everyone knows carrots promote eye health. They’re a good source of beta-caroten...
How Does the Big Data Concept Impact Ophthalmology?
How Have Advances in Molecular Biology Helped Eye Disease Treatments?