What should I do if my contacts make my eyes red and irritated?

Contact lenses can cause irritation for many reasons. If the contact lens is too tight fitting or too loose fitting the eye can become red and irritated. If the specific contact you are using has deposits or defects in it that may cause a problem. This is easily checked by using another of the same lens and seeing if you have the same reaction. Lastly you may be developing a problem with the eye such as giant papillary conjunctivitis which is seen sometimes in reaction to contact lenses. I recommend that you see your EyeMD to rule out any local eye problem requiring treatment. Then a short period of stopping contact lens use until any problems are resolved and symptoms are eliminated is necessary. After that a new fitting for a different brand or size of lens may completely solve the problem.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
On February 18, 2009, the point guard for the Phoenix Suns, Amar′e Stoudemire, was poked in the eye by LA Clippers’ forward Al Thornton. The result? A...
How do eyelash growth abnormalities affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
In general, eyelash growth disorders only affect the eyes. The effect that an eyelash growth abnorma...
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
Take a look at 10 sight-saving tips to protect your vision and boost your eye health.
Can 3D Printers Generate Eyes That Function Properly?