Should I apply an ice pack to an eye injury?

Cold applications to the structures around the eye may reduce pain and swelling due to injuries or some disease processes. However, before using a chemical ice pack out of the freezer, wrap it in a small wet towel so that a few layers of cloth are between the ice pack and the skin. Applying the chemical ice pack directly onto the closed eyelids could cause localized frostbite.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

What Can Happen to My Eyesight After I Turn 40?
In this video, ophthalmologist David Demartini, MD, describes the serious effect that aging can have on a person’s eyes, and discusses the vision chan...
How are watery eyes diagnosed?
Laura C. Fine, MDLaura C. Fine, MD
Your doctor diagnoses the cause of watery eyes by examining your eyes and conducting medical tests t...
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes7 Foods for Healthy Eyes
For brighter eyes and clearer vision, these foods can help.
What Are the Most Important Issues in Eye Health?