Is it normal for the outer rim of my irises to develop a grayish color?

The grayish color you see in the outer rim of your iris is actually in the cornea, the clear window of your eye, in front of the brown iris. Medically, it is called arcus senilis (in Latin) or gerontoxon (in Greek.) These whitish or grayish rings are common in old and even middle-aged human eyes. They are more obvious in brown eyes than in blue eyes. The ring is caused by cholesterol compounds that form in the peripheral cornea. However, the presence of such a ring is not an indicator of elevated blood cholesterol, and the ring causes no impairment of vision. No treatment is necessary or available.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Are Your Eyes a Window Into Heart Trouble?
Your eyes may be a window into your soul, but they can also give your doctor a look into the health of your heart. A study has linked micro-damage to ...
How do I treat foreign objects in the eye?
Dr. Gary S. Hirshfield, MDDr. Gary S. Hirshfield, MD
I would suggest that you look closely at your eyelashes and eyelid margins for a misdirected lash an...
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips10 Simple Sight-Saving Tips
Take a look at 10 sight-saving tips to protect your vision and boost your eye health.
How Does the Big Data Concept Impact Ophthalmology?