How do I know what size contact lenses I should wear?

Contact lenses need to be fit to each individual's eyes. There isn't a one-size-fits-all lens. Each lens can act differently. Even if it fits on the eye initially, it may change once the lens dries out a little bit or once it's been worn for a few hours. The curvature of the cornea in the front of the eye can be quite different from person to person. The contact lens should fit appropriately on that surface. It shouldn't be so tight that it's not going to move, and it shouldn't be so loose that it's going to just slide around the surface of the eye and pop out.
Contacts come in various "curves," called base curves and this will help determine how the lens fits. But, there are other factors, including the size of the lens and its hydration that determine fit. For example, some lenses have more water in them than others, and may, or may not, dry out more on the eye. This could vary the fit. For the safest possible fit for your eyes, you should contact an ophthalmologist or optometrist who fits contact lens and see them for such a fit. Your eyes are precious, and if you get an improper fit, you may be susceptible to infections or poor corneal nutrition.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

5 Ways to Prevent Computer Eyestrain
5 Ways to Prevent Computer Eyestrain
If you love the convenience of online shopping, banking and socializing, there's a good chance you're spending a lot of hours staring at a flickering ...
Are blood vessels in my eye encroaching on my iris a serious problem?
Ivan A. Schwab, MDIvan A. Schwab, MD
Yes, these blood vessels could be a potential problem to your eyes. Many contact lenses will cau...
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
When it comes to nourishing your vision, a good diet trumps dietary supplements–for most of us.
Where Is the Medical Community on the Treatment of Macular Degeneration?