How does keratitis affect the body?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Typically, keratitis is associated with physical damage to the cornea, the outermost layer of the eye. The cornea may become scratched by a contact lens or foreign particle, inflaming the eye and making it susceptible to ulcers or infections. If a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection caused your keratitis, then the unwanted bacteria in your eye infects the eye tissue, causing the irritation, wateriness, and other negative symptoms.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

How to Protect Your Eyes from Harmful UV Rays
As every good vampire hunter knows (think Buffy), the sun’s rays are lethal to the undead, unless they wear a daylight ring made by witches (thanks Va...
How do I manage my eyelash growth abnormality on a daily basis?
Treatment options for eyelash growth abnormalities will vary depending on the abnormality and the un...
Are blood vessels in my eye encroaching on my iris a serious problem?
Ivan A. Schwab, MDIvan A. Schwab, MD
Yes, these blood vessels could be a potential problem to your eyes. Many contact lenses will cau...
How Does the Big Data Concept Impact Ophthalmology?