What causes pink bubbles on the whites of the eyes?

The elevated pink areas on the nasal sides of the whites of the eyes are named pterygia. A pterygium is a thickening and redness of the normally transparent membrane that covers the white part of the eye. This type of growth is triggered by exposure to lots of ultraviolet light in sunlight. If the thickened membrane grows onto the clear cornea in front of the iris, it will appear to be a defect in the iris. To avoid these growths while you enjoy the sunshine, always wear ultraviolet-absorbing lenses when you are outdoors during the day. When you purchase clear prescription lenses or sunglass lenses, insist upon at least 98% ultraviolet absorption.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

Presbyopia: Correcting Age-Related Vision Loss
Sometime around of after age 40, many people notice that it is getting more difficult for their eyes to focus on nearby objects. For many, the first s...
What causes my eyes to constantly tear?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
Tearing is a very common complaint and is often difficult to solve because there are so many differe...
How can I calm down after an eye injury?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
If you are anxious after a bombing or blast and eye injury, your feelings are normal. Bombings and b...
How Eye Health Is Influenced by Overall Health