What should I do if one eye keeps closing and my eyes sometimes cross?

An eye may close for many reasons.  If the eye crossing and closing began to occur at about the same time, it could be indicative of a nerve problem and should be investigated carefully, perhaps by a neuro-ophthalmologist.  If these two problems seem unrelated or have been present for some time, the eye closing could be the result of muscle weakness in the eyelid, a nerve problem, or even spasm of the eyelid muscles.  The eye crossing could also be related to muscle weakness, a nerve problem, or something you were genetically predisposed to develop.  It is important to be certain that you do not have a serious condition and you are urged to see an specialist for a thorough evaluation as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What Is Presbyopia?
What Is Presbyopia?
Presbyopia is a condition that affects a person's ability to see up close, and usually occurs around age 40. Learn more in this video featuring naturo...
What are the different kinds of coloboma?
There are different kinds of coloboma, depending on which part of the eye is missing. Coloboma can a...
What can help me manage map-dot fingerprint dystrophy?
Ivan A. Schwab, MDIvan A. Schwab, MD
Map-dot dystrophy of the cornea is relatively common and often has a genetic component. It consi...
What Are the Symptoms of Macular Degeneration?