Why do some eye drops need to be refrigerated?

Some evidence suggests that some of the glaucoma medications may be subject to degradation or breakdown if they get too warm or are kept too long at room temperature. This is generally not a major concern, however, if the medications are used as instructed and are not exposed to extremely high temperatures (like being left in a car in the hot sun). Some individuals also prefer to refrigerate their drops so that they can more easily determine if they put the drop in their eye properly, or the drop may feel more soothing and comfortable if cool when instilled.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

How Often Do I Need an Eye Exam As I Grow Older?
In this video, ophthalmologist and Sharecare Advisory Board member David Demartini, MD, explains how frequently you should have an eye exam, and why t...
What are some tips for applying eye drops?
Laura C. Fine, MDLaura C. Fine, MD
Here are some tips for applying eye drops: If you have a strong blink reflex, try lying flat on your...
What happens when we cry?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When we cry, a salty fluid full of water, protein, oil and mucus is released from the lacrimal gland...
Is Eye Disease More Prevalent for Those with Diabetes?