Did I damage my eyes in a tanning booth if I forgot the goggles?

This is impossible to answer because we don't know the strength of the light. But it is unlikely to have harmed you significantly. Ultraviolet light can harm the cornea, increase the chance of cataracts, and probably increase the risk of macular degeneration in the retina, among other problems. These injuries are unlikely to occur because of a 15-second exposure but rather a lifetime of exposure. Most likely, the dose you received was quite small compared to what is required for injuries to these tissues occur. Beware of tanning salons and exposure to UV light, though, as these can also increase your chance of several skin cancers.

Continue Learning about Eye Care

Which Eye Exams Do You Need?
Which Eye Exams Do You Need?
Regular vision checkups are key, since many eye diseases have no symptoms. According to the National Institutes of Health, adults over 40 should be ex...
What is an orbital blowout fracture?
David R. Demartini, MDDavid R. Demartini, MD
Each eyeball sits inside a boney cavity which protects the eye from injury. This cavity is called th...
What causes eyestrain?
Eye strain can be caused by many things. Repetitive eye strain can cause problems such as headaches,...
How Does the Big Data Concept Impact Ophthalmology?