Why do I need protective eyewear for doing lawn work?

You should always wear safety glasses when using garden tools or mowing. About 2.5 million eye injuries occur each year in the United States. Nearly half of these accidents occur in and around the home. The garden is a common place for injuries to occur. Mowing the lawn, using a line trimmer on weeds, or trimming branches or shrubs can be dangerous without protective eyewear.

The good news is that most injuries can be prevented. That's why the American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends that every household have at least one pair of ANSI-approved protective eyewear for use during household projects, such as gardening, that put your eyes at risk.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

5 Ways to Prevent Computer Eyestrain
5 Ways to Prevent Computer Eyestrain
Staring at a computer screen can cause headaches, back and neck pain, blurry vision and dry eyes. Watch Dr. Oz explain how to avoid these issues durin...
How does working on a computer all day affect my eyes?
Dr. Aaron P. Weingeist, MDDr. Aaron P. Weingeist, MD
Working on computers or video display terminals (VDTs) will not permanently harm your eyes. However,...
Why is exercise good for my eyes?
Getting fit doesn't just do a body good. It's great for your eye health, too. Vigorous exercise, suc...
Is There a Way to Improve Vision with Special Exercises?