Why do I need protective eyewear for doing lawn work?

You should always wear safety glasses when using garden tools or mowing. About 2.5 million eye injuries occur each year in the United States. Nearly half of these accidents occur in and around the home. The garden is a common place for injuries to occur. Mowing the lawn, using a line trimmer on weeds, or trimming branches or shrubs can be dangerous without protective eyewear.

The good news is that most injuries can be prevented. That's why the American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends that every household have at least one pair of ANSI-approved protective eyewear for use during household projects, such as gardening, that put your eyes at risk.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

4 Ways to Protect Your Eyes As You Age
4 Ways to Protect Your Eyes As You Age
In 2012, the actress Dame Judi Dench told the press her eyesight was failing and that she was unable to read her scripts. Her solution? Her daughter a...
Is watching TV bad for your eyes?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Children can focus at close distance without eyestrain better than adults. They often develop the ha...
How can I boost antioxidant levels in my body to preserve my eye health?
Cooked kale, spinach, collards, and turnip greens (along with broccoli and eggs) are crammed full of...
What Recent Eye Health Developments Have Surprised You the Most?