Q

Healthy Eye and Vision

Why do I need protective eyewear for doing lawn work?

• You should always wear safety glasses when using garden tools or mowing. About 2.5 million eye injuries occur each year in the United States. Nearly half of these accidents occur in and around the home. The garden is a common place for injuries to occur. Mowing the lawn, using a line trimmer on weeds, or trimming branches or shrubs can be dangerous without protective eyewear.

The good news is that most injuries can be prevented. That's why the American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends that every household have at least one pair of ANSI-approved protective eyewear for use during household projects, such as gardening, that put your eyes at risk.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Why do I need protective eyewear when playing tennis?