How does working on a computer all day affect my eyes?

Looking at computer monitors will not harm your eyes. Often, when using a computer for long periods of time, just as when reading or doing other close work, you blink less often than normal. This reduced rate of blinking makes your eyes dry, which may lead to the feeling of eyestrain or fatigue.

Try to take regular breaks to look up or across the room. Looking at objects farther away often relieves the feeling of strain on your eyes. Keep the monitor between 18 to 24 inches from your face and at a slight downward angle. Also consider the use of artificial tears. If your vision blurs or your eyes tire easily, you should have your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Aaron P. Weingeist, MD
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

Working on computers or video display terminals (VDTs) will not permanently harm your eyes. However, when using a VDT for long periods of time, just as reading or doing other close work, you blink less than you normally would. This reduced rate of blinking makes your eyes dry, which may lead to the feeling of eyestrain or fatigue. It's worth reminding yourself to look away from the computer every 20 minutes or so to give your eyes a break. The target should be more than 10 feet away, and your break should last at least 20 seconds.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

What Is Promising About Molecular Genetics?
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?
Will Genome Sequencing Will Help Eye Health?
Is It Harmful to My Eyes to Sit Close to the TV?