How is UV radiation bad for your eyes?

The cornea is the clear portion of your eye that covers the iris. The iris is the colored portion of your eye. If you spend a lot of time outdoors without eye protection, your cornea is exposed to UV light. This can cause a burn to your cornea called ultraviolet keratitis. Corneal burns can be painful and can cause blurry vision and, if severe, even loss of vision. Since your cornea acts as a protective barrier for your eyes, you should avoid or protect against UV light by wearing sunglasses and other protective eye gear when needed.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eye and Vision

Does reading in dim light really hurt your eyes?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Yes, but not as badly as you might have thought when your parents scolded you for reading under the ...
Why do I need protective eyewear when playing tennis?
You need protective eyewear when you play tennis to avoid eye injury from a tennis ball. Shatterproo...
Is it dangerous to have a freckle on my eye?
Abdhish R. Bhavsar, MDAbdhish R. Bhavsar, MD
The "freckle in the retina" is typically a choroidal nevus and it is a medical condition and can...
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Ophthalmologists?