How much physical activity do I need to control my weight?

How much exercise you need is dependent upon a variety of factors, including your age, your metabolism, your weight, body composition, activity level, and your diet. The easiest way to calculate how much physical activity you need to control your weight is to increase your activity level until your weight remains constant or starts to decrease. There are a number of ways to measure and monitor physical activity that will help you track it. Monitoring devices like pedometers will keep track of the number of steps you take. Tracking steps and your weight each week will make it easy to calculate how much activity is needed to maintain your weight. Other monitoring devices like accelerometers like the exerspy will measure your steps plus your total accumulated activity and will give an accurate estimate of calories burned that day. These devices can be plugged into monitoring programs, which will record and track your activity level and calories burned daily and can also track weight. So long as your weight stays the same or goes down with your current level of exercise this is the correct amount to control your weight.    

If you are currently gaining weight it will be necessary for you to increase your activity level, and it may be necessary to decrease your caloric intake. Engaging in regular vigorous exercise will burn a large amount of calories both during and after exercise in the form of excessive post exercise oxygen consumption also known as EPOC. EPOC is an increased level of calorie burning after exercise due to the intensity of exercise requiring extra calories to help with recovery. After a bout of intense exercise, your body can continue to burn extra calories for up to several hours after.    

By combining any of these means of measuring activity with a monitoring of your weight you can easily figure out what is the right level of activity to maintain or lose weight.

If you are watching and controlling your caloric intake, you can probably get away with the minimum recommendation of 150 min/week of what the government defines as physical activity of 3-6METS (see below for complete definitions). However, except for active athletes, according to the latest exercise/weight loss studies, exercise alone won’t control your weight or lead to weight loss, so if weight control is the goal, you must restrict/count calories and perform moderated exercise 3-5 days/week.

Definitions:

Physical Activity: any bodily movement produced by skeletal muscles resulting in an expenditure of energy (calories). Any individually safe physical activity is better than none.

Metabolic equivalents (MET): 1 MET = the energy used by the body as you sit quietly, the harder the body works during the activity, the higher the METs (e.g. 2 METS is twice the energy spent sitting quietly). Any activity that burns 3-6 METs is considered moderate-intensity physical activity and is the level of activity the government chose to use in their current broad health recommendations.

Moderate-Intensity Activities (3-6 METS)

• Walking briskly
  • Golf, pulling or carrying clubs
  • Swimming, recreational
  • Mowing lawn, power motor
  • Tennis, doubles
  • Bicycling 5-9 MPH, level terrain or with a few hills
  • Weight lifting, machines or free weights

Minimum exercise recommendations:

Note: these are minimum recommendations, greater health/weight control outcomes can be achieved by doing additional types of activities and/or increasing time spent doing activities

• 5 or more days of the week if moderate-intensity activities (in bouts of at least 10 minutes for a total of at least 30 minutes per day); or
  • 3 or more days of the week if vigorous-intensity activities (for at least 20-60 minutes per session)

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

What Time of Day Will I Get the Most Effective Workout for Weight Loss?
Exercise Harder to Eat Less
Exercise Harder to Eat Less
How to Bust Through a Weight-Loss Plateau
How Can I Exercise to Lose Weight If I Have Foot Problems?