What is non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT)?

NEAT are the calories we burn through non-exercise related activity, things like fidgeting, walking up and down a flight of stairs. It’ a small percentage of your daily caloric total but is the portion that can be changed the most easily by modifying your behavior and being more active. The more conscious non exercise based activity you do throughout the day the more calories you will burn. Walking instead of sending emails or calling, taking stairs instead of elevators, parking further away, all help to burn extra calories, lose weight, and be healthier. 
Non-exercise activity thermogenesis, or NEAT, is the unplanned (or unstructured) low-intensity physical activity that we engage in every day. NEAT is basically non-exercise that burns calories. NEAT activities include fidgeting, going to the store, preparing meals, and walking stairs. Although NEAT is the smallest daily contributor to energy expenditure, it has been found to be an important gauge for weight loss or weight gain.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

What Type of Exercise Equipment Would Be Good for Weight Loss?
What's the Best Exercise for Weight Loss If I Only Have 5 Minutes?
How Can Social Networking Help Me Stay Motivated to Exercise?
How Can I Help Prevent Stress from Affecting My Weight Loss?