Is interval training good for weight loss?

Without question - interval training is an effective and efficient way to exercise and enhance weight loss. Interval training adds variety and takes away from the monotony of the long run or the wasted "social" time spent weight training.

Alternating intensity levels keeps the burn rate high, even after you are finished. Total time spent working should decrease and you have more time to play.

Yes, interval training is good for weight loss because its benefits are found not only in the amount of calories burned during the exercise itself, but also in the amount of calories burned after the exercise session. Interval training is a type of training that involves high-intensity bursts of activity and alternates those with lower-intensity activities. Many athletes use interval training to help with conditioning as many sporting events involve high-intensity activity with a short period of time at a lower intensity. Interval training while doing cardio can be performed by doing a five minute warm-up at 65% of your estimated maximum heart rate (220-age), then progressing to 80% of your estimated maximum heart rate for one to two minutes, then back down to the lower intensity. This cycle is repeated for the duration of the cardio activity.
Interval training is a great way to train for weight loss! Interval training involves training at different intensity levels for certain durations during a workout. It is also an extremely effective way to increase caloric expenditure - both during, and after, the workout.

Weight loss will occur when you burn more calories than you consume. The higher the intensity of your workouts, the more calories you will burn. Interval training is a great way to burn more calories in a shorter amount of time, however it is very important that you build a solid cardio foundation before attempting this type of training to avoid injury. If you are new to exercise, or have not been training regularly, begin your cardio training trying to maintain an intensity between 65-75% of your maximum heart rate (MHR = 220-age) for a period of 60 minutes, 3-5 days per week. Once you can comfortably do this for a few weeks then you are ready to slowly progress to interval training.
Dr. Mike Clark, DPT
Fitness
Higher intensity interval training is a very effective approach to lose weight and get fit. Interval training is also effective to increase heart health.
High-intensity interval training, such as 30-second sprints, can make short workouts effective for weight loss. But how do you get started if you've never done sprints before? The goal is to build up to performing 30-second bursts every three minutes using the treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical machine, swimming, jogging, or road biking. Try a couple of intervals to get started. Work your way up to five until you can do 10 intervals.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

What Time of Day Will I Get the Most Effective Workout for Weight Loss?
Exercise Harder to Eat Less
Exercise Harder to Eat Less
What Are Some Exercises I Can Do At Home to Help Me Lose Weight?
What's the Best Exercise for Weight Loss If I Only Have 5 Minutes?