How much exercise is enough to help me achieve a healthy weight?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that all adults get a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity, like brisk walking, per week, which comes down to just over 20 minutes per day. As an alternative, you could go for 75 minutes a week of a vigorous activity like jogging. Muscle-strengthening exercises two or more days a week are also essential to maintaining fitness and building lean muscle mass, which makes your metabolism more efficient.

And keep in mind that we all overestimate the caloric benefit of exercise. A 160-lb. (73 kg) person who puts in a full hour of low-impact aerobics burns 365 calories, which is not bad, but all that work is entirely erased if you reward yourself with a muffin instead of an apple after class.

Elderly Bicyclists

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Walk Off Weight, Turn Off Fat Genes
Walk Off Weight, Turn Off Fat Genes
Around 10,000 people have walked the 2,181 mile-long Appalachian Trail from Springer Mountain, Ga., to Maine's Mount Katahdin. In contrast, more than ...
Is working out in the morning on an empty stomach the best to burn fat?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
No, this is an exercise myth and can be quite dangerous. The human body will perform at it's best wh...
If I want to lose fat fast, should I do as much cardio as possible?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
Not unless you love it. Reducing calories, as opposed to burning the extra calories, is by far an ea...
A Fun Way to Lose Weight: Ride a Bike
A Fun Way to Lose Weight: Ride a Bike