How much exercise is enough to help me achieve a healthy weight?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that all adults get a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity, like brisk walking, per week, which comes down to just over 20 minutes per day. As an alternative, you could go for 75 minutes a week of a vigorous activity like jogging. Muscle-strengthening exercises two or more days a week are also essential to maintaining fitness and building lean muscle mass, which makes your metabolism more efficient.

And keep in mind that we all overestimate the caloric benefit of exercise. A 160-lb. (73 kg) person who puts in a full hour of low-impact aerobics burns 365 calories, which is not bad, but all that work is entirely erased if you reward yourself with a muffin instead of an apple after class.

Elderly Bicyclists

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Buddy Up For Better Health
Buddy Up For Better Health
In an episode of the 90s sitcom News Radio, co-anchor Bill McNeal (Phil Hartman) wants to stop smoking, while news director Dave Nelson (Dave Foley) i...
How do I choose the best fitness routine if I want to lose weight?
James O. HillJames O. Hill
While some sports and fitness regimens may be more vigorous and burn more calories than others, th...
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
Trainer Donovan Green shares his secrets for calorie-burning success.
What Are the Best Types of Exercise to Lose Weight?