What is Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC)?

After exercise, your metabolism will stay higher for a period of time. This is known as EPOC (pronounced e-pock). Even though the activity has been completed, the body still needs to utilize more oxygen in order to refuel energy supplies and cool the body back down.

This is great news for individuals interested in losing weight – in addition to burning calories while you are exercising, you continue to burn more calories afterwards as well!

The higher the intensity of the exercise session, the larger the EPOC.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Is isometric training beneficial for weight loss?
Absolutely. Isometric training involves effort being placed in order to sustain muscle contractions ...
How do I become more physically active to lose weight in weight management?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
One of the best tools you can utilize to becoming more physically active is a pedometer or the new N...
How Can I Help Prevent Stress from Affecting My Weight Loss?
How Can Exercise Help Me Avoid Hitting a Weight-Loss Plateau?