How can my posture affect my cardiovascular endurance?

Improper posture while performing cardio training can lead to injury due to over activity and interactivity in certain muscles. Improper posture results from what is termed as muscle imbalances where one muscle is shortened and the muscle on the opposite side of the joint is lengthened. When this occurs, the muscles start pulling your bones in directions it wasn't necessarily intended. Visually, it can appear as poor posture. Over time and through repetitive motion such as that seen in cardio exercise, it can initiate an injury cycle and decrease performance. If you have rounded shoulders (tight chest muscles) due to sitting at a desk and working on a computer, you should be careful not to excessively grab handles on cardio equipment and not lean in to watch TV (when present). If you sit most of the day, you may have tight hip flexors (muscles in the front of your hips). In this instance you may not want to use bicycles or steppers because they may exacerbate the problem. If you wear shoes with a heel to work, you will want to make sure you thoroughly stretch your calf complex prior to performing cardio activity.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Increasing Cardiovascular Endurance

Can weight lifting be considered cardio training?
Damond A. McCain , NASM Elite TrainerDamond A. McCain , NASM Elite Trainer
Yes! With the key word being, "Can." What you have to keep in mind, is that you will need a base lin...
What is endurance training?
JC Pinzon JC Pinzon
Endurance training can be cardiovascular or strength training. Cardiovascular training involves exer...
Is it better to use more reps to increase my cardiovascular endurance?
Cardiovascular endurance is best improved by performing continuous cardio exercise for an extended p...
What exercises are good for runners?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
There are exercises all runners should complete, and can be done at home in just a few minutes each ...