How can exercising during my pregnancy benefit my baby?

Babies born to moms who exercise during pregnancy are more likely to be active themselves. Moms who want to give their newborns a running start in life should keep their gym memberships active well into their pregnancy. A study found that children born to mothers who exercised during pregnancy are much more likely to stay active long after leaving the womb. While the study was with mice, the researchers note that their results dovetail with other studies that have found similar results.

The offspring of active moms were 50% more likely to exercise than those born from sedentary mothers. The controls in the mice study make these results more applicable to human subjects. The researchers studied genetically identical mice and carefully controlled the amount of physical activity of the mothers before pregnancy.

The bottom line is, if you’re pregnant, speak to your doctor about engaging in an appropriate exercise routine. You just may be giving your baby a valuable life advantage.

Continue Learning about Exercise During Pregnancy

Earning Sweat Equity During Pregnancy
Earning Sweat Equity During Pregnancy
When licensed contractor and personal trainer (what a combo!) Amy Matthews hosts Sweat Equity on the DIY channel, you’re in for great tips on increasi...
How can I exercise safely during pregnancy?
Mrs. Michelle Carlson, NASM Elite TrainerMrs. Michelle Carlson, NASM Elite Trainer
Being active during healthy pregnancies has shown to decrease postpartum depression, decrease labor ...
6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses
6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses
Basic stretches to help you through pregnancy and labor.
Is It Safe to Exercise During Pregnancy?