What are some easy ways to stay fit?

Staying fit is about being active. The best way to improve your fitness is to increase your activity level; this can be accomplished many ways. One effective method is avoiding labor saving devices and methods of transportation, Things like taking the stairs instead of elevators, parking further way from work or from the store, walking to a co worker's desk instead of calling them, doing chores around the house can improve fitness. Finding ways to include physical activities into your spare time will also help you improve fitness. Joining recreational leagues like bowling and softball allow you to combine physical activity and social activities together. The more active you are the fitter you’ll be. 
If you had to pick one area where most people fall down in maintaining their health, it's staying with a long-term exercise program. It hasn't helped that new guidelines from some physical fitness experts now recommend an hour and a half of activity each day. You can almost hear the collective outcry across the county: "An hour and a half every day! I can barely make it to the gym once a week!"But there is hope for those not gym bound. Recent studies fromthe Mayo Clinic and other institutions have shown that the activities of everyday life—cleaning thehouse, gardening, playing withchildren, walking the dog—if done on a regular basis throughout the day, provide as much benefit as intense workouts at the local health club. The important thing, experts say, is to avoid being sedentary. Keep moving, even if it's just to walk to the mailbox or park your car at the far end of the street or the mall parking lot, it all adds up to a healthier lifestyle.

This new approach is called integrative exercise, and it is poised to revolutionize the way we think about fitness. Linda Petlichkoff, past president of the Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology was quoted recently inthe New York Times praising the new research. "For all too long we've thought that being active means going to the gym, no pain, no gain." But with research now showing that nearly all movement done properly and repeatedly over the course of a day is good for people, "[it's] been the greatest positive change that I've seen, a redefinition of what it means to be active."At first, you may want to keep a journal to make sure you've done enough, till you've got a routine down.

Want to Get Started?
Do any type of housework, themore vigorous the better.Hand wash the family car.Weed the garden.Take the stairs instead of theelevator.Park a few blocks from yourdestination and walk the restof the way.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Why College Students Should Hang Up Their Cell Phones
How Fequently Should I Stretch My Calves?
Stand Up, Lose Belly Fat
Stand Up, Lose Belly Fat
Ride the Bus to Get Fit
Ride the Bus to Get Fit