What are the possible benefits of body composition measurements?

Knowing your body composition can be a big benefit if you're trying to lose weight. You may not see the weight on the scale change as quickly as you'd like and may get frustrated. Body composition measures can show you that you've lost fat and gained lean muscle tissue. When you are losing weight, you want to know you're losing fat and not muscle.  Though that's important at any age, especially if you're aging you want to spare muscle losses that are harder to recover. Losing lean tissue can slow metabolism and leave you weaker. 

You may be on the opposite end of the spectrum and need to put on some weight. You want to be sure that you're adding lean tissue and not body fat. Optimal body composition is more important in overall health than weight alone. 

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What tests are used to assess upper body agility and stabilization?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
The Davies test is used to assess upper body agility and stabilization. To peform the Davies Test, p...
How should I measure my waistline?
Instead of watching the scale -- a habit that has sent many successful losers plummeting to diet...
What is the National Institute for Athletic Health and Performance (NIAHP)?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
The National Institute for Athletic Health and Performance (NIAHP) is a group of scientists and heal...
How do I self monitor my exercise?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Monitoring your exercise is really quite simple and well worth the effort. You have a number of ...