What tests are used to assess upper body agility and stabilization?

The Davies test is used to assess upper body agility and stabilization.

To peform the Davies Test, place two pieces of tape on the floor 36 inches apart. Have the client, or athlete, begin in a push up position with one hand on each piece of tape. The client will then quickly touch their right hand to their left hand, continuing to perform alternating touches on each side for a period of 15 seconds. Record the number of lines touched by both hands.

Repeat the test three times.

*Note - the Davies test should not be performed with individuals who lack sufficient shoulder stability.
The Davies test measures agility and stabilization in the upper extremities. This test involves assuming a push up position (on your toes) with hands 36 inches apart. For fifteen seconds, measure how many times you can lift one hand to tap the other hand (alternating sides). There is not a standard to compare results to, just re-evaluate in a couple weeks/months and note the difference.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How can I measure the intensity of my exercise?
To measure the intensity of your exercise you should measure your heart rate. Aerobic exercise can b...
What is the "talk test” and is it accurate to measure exercise intensity?
The biggest problem with individuals and cardiovascular training is how to determine the intensi...
What is the lactate threshold?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
Lactate threshold (LT) reflects the exercise intensity at which the concentration of lactate in the ...
How do I measure my metabolic rate when exercising?
The best way to measure your metabolism is to exercise on machines that measure what’s known as Meta...