What is the relationship between heart rate and fitness level?

The relationship between heart rate and fitness level is variable for individuals. The ability to push more power at a lower heart rate indicates that you are more fit. Your heart is a muscle and when it grows stronger through endurance training, it is able to pump more forcefully, pushing more volume of blood through the muscle per beat. This is a positive training effect, as the body improves efficiency, by being able to deliver the same amount of oxygen, transported by red blood cells, to working muscles with fewer heart beats. Another positive indicator of fitness is being able to work aerobically for longer periods of time at higher intensities. This is referred to as increasing lactate threshold. Keep in mind that hydration, nutrition and rest play a major role in rate of perceived exertion and heart rate. So you will not necessarily see lower heart rates on subsequent field tests, in fact you might see higher heart rates as reflective of your increased lactate threshold.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What the best way to measure my fitness progress ?
One of the best ways to measure fitness progress is how you feel. After a week or so of exercise are...
how do i measure my metabolic rate when exercising ?
The best way to measure your metabolism is to exercise on machines that measure what’s known as Meta...
what should my heart rate be during cardio exercise ?
Your heart rate has to be 80 percent of your age adjusted max. Your age adjusted max is 220 minus yo...
how should i measure my waistline ?
Instead of watching the scale -- a habit that has sent many successful losers plummeting to diet...