How does talking help determine the intensity of exercise?

Joan Pagano
Fitness
The "talk test" is a timeless and easy way to guage the intensity of cardio exercise, based on your use of oxygen. You should be able to talk, but not sing during your workout. If you can't talk, you are working too hard to catch your breath - and this is not sustainable for more that a couple of minutes. However, if you can sing, you are not working hard enough, having plenty of breath to belt out a tune!
Strength Training Exercises for Women

Strength Training Exercises for Women

Packed with more than 200 visual step-by-step exercises designed to burn calories, strengthen the core, and tone the body, Strength Training for Women is a must-have for core-conscious women who want to target key areas of their body and maintain all-round strength and fitness.

The talk test is a great way to gage your intensity. If you are able to complete sentences while exercising then you intense is at a moderate level. If speaking is a challenge then your exercise is intense. Simple! Be sure to use this method, especially if you have any sort of health issue. If a health issue is present then be sure you are always able to talk while exercising to stay within a safe working zone.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What tests are used to assess lower body agility and control?
The Shark Skill test measures agility and neuromuscular control in the lower extremities. Start by m...
What tools can I use to track my progress in my new fitness plan?
The best ways to track a fitness plan is by using a calendar, a journal or designing your own sp...
How do I determine my fitness level?
There are three exercise factors that reveal a lot about a person's risk of death and disability -- ...
Why should I create an exercise log?
Chris Thomae , NASM Elite TrainerChris Thomae , NASM Elite Trainer
Keeping a written log of your exercise program is a great way to track your progress. Particularly w...