How can I make best use of EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption)?

Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption is the period of time after exercise where your body is still working at an elevated rate in (heart and breathing rates are elevated which burns more calories) while recovering from the activity. Think of EPOC as the after burn effect you feel following exercise. In order to make best use of EPOC, you can do one of two things; split your cardio training sessions into two or three shorter bouts of physical activity. This will give you more than one opportunity to take advantage of EPOC. You can also perform interval training. Interval training is mixing low, moderate, and high intensity intervals into a cardio session. For example, you can begin by performing 10 minutes of low aerobic activity (brisk walk or slow jog), then perform two minutes of moderately intense aerobic activity (moderately intense jog), followed by one minute of intense cardio activity (fast jog/run) before regressing back to low aerobic activity (brisk walk/jog).

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What is the National Institute for Athletic Health and Performance (NIAHP)?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
The National Institute for Athletic Health and Performance (NIAHP) is a group of scientists and heal...
Why should I create an exercise log?
Clients who are new to exercise should choose to keep an exercise log. An exercise log can have a va...
Why should I track my exercise progress?
Tracking your progress can be a useful way to keep you motivated when you start an exercise program....
Why is waist-hip ratio important?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
A study found that waist-to-hip ratio is a better predictor of heart-related events and death in peo...