Can I get my partner pregnant if I have erectile dysfunction?

Erectile dysfunction (ED) can be a stumbling block to getting a woman pregnant naturally through sexual intercourse. However, even with ED you may still have healthy sperm that are necessary for conception.

Talk to your doctor about your problem with ED and ask about the different treatment options, including the medications such as  sildenafil (Viagra), vardenafil (Levitra) and tadalafil (Cialis). There are many therapies that can successfully treat male factor infertility and allow you to conceive a healthy child using your own sperm.

If you have erectile dysfunction (ED) and want to have a baby with your partner, there is lots of reason for hope. At least 80% of men with erectile dysfunction respond well to treatment. That means they are able to achieve and maintain an erection suitable for intercourse.

If you are unable to have an erection due to a serious injury, there's a chance you may not respond as well to common treatments for erectile dysfunction, such as oral medications. In that case, a fertility specialist may be able to harvest sperm from a testicle that can be used for artificial insemination.

Most of the time, men with erectile dysfunction aren't able to have sex and therefore cannot get their partners pregnant. However, if you're able to maintain an erection long enough to have sexual intercourse, you may still be able to get your partner pregnant. Erectile dysfunction isn't necessarily related to problems with your reproductive system. That means that if you're able to have sex even once, you may still get a woman pregnant.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Erectile Dysfunction May Predict Heart Problems
Erectile dysfunction not only causes problems in the bedroom -- it can also signal much larger health issues. A study from Johns Hopkins’ Ciccarone Ce...
What impact does cardiac rehabilitation have on ED?
What's good for the heart is usually good for the penis. Cardiac rehabilitation is a medically s...
When should I call my doctor if I have erection problems?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
When a car doesn’t perform as it once did it may be because of faulty wiring, the wrong fuels or add...
You're Never Too Old for Great Sex
You're Never Too Old for Great Sex