Can appetite suppressants cause erectile dysfunction?

Appetite suppressants can lead to erectile dysfunction (ED). For phentermine, the active ingredient in the prescription medication Adipex-P, ED is listed with the FDA as a “common” side effect. If you need to lose weight quickly for a medical reason, work with your doctor to make sure any medications you are taking do not interfere with your sex life. Explore healthier ways to lose weight. Regular exercise, even brisk walking, helps burn calories, tones your cardiovascular system, and stimulates your body to produce nitric acid, a compound that’s key for good erections. Eating a diet that’s lower in calories and good for your heart is another way to lose weight while reducing, rather than increasing, your risk of ED.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction Causes

Can lack of sleep cause erectile dysfunction?
Ronald Tamler, MDRonald Tamler, MD
There is a connection. If you’re always tired and have low desire, it may be a result of low testost...
How do I know if my erectile dysfunction is caused by too much porn?
Andrew Kramer, MDAndrew Kramer, MD
You can tell if symptoms of erectile dysfunction are due to watching too much porn if physical E...
Does Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer Cause Erectile Dysfunction?
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
What is Erectile Dysfunction?