question

What are serving sizes for potatoes?

Toby Smithson
Toby Smithson on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
answer

The serving size of a potato is different for the general public versus some who has diabetes. Potatoes are considered a starchy vegetable thus containing a higher amount of carbohydrate per ounce than a non-starchy vegetable like green beans. According to the USDA Dietary Guidelines and MyPlate a serving of potato is 1 cup diced, mashed or baked or 1 medium boiled potato. For an individual with diabetes, a serving of carbohydrate (15 grams) is equivalent to a small potato or a 3 ounce serving.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Do my food choices affect my weight?
Do my food choices affect my weight? Food choices have a direct effect on your weight and health sta...
Why is popcorn a healthy snack substitute for junk food?
Why is popcorn a healthy snack substitute for junk food? If you make popcorn at home, you can avoid ...
How long can it take for me to make healthy eating habits my lifestyle?
For making healthy eating habits lifestyle it takes longer than a few weeks to make the changes perm...
What factors influence our eating behaviors?
Experts believe there are many factors that can influence our feelings about food and our eating beh...