What kind of specialist should I see for a rectocele?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Internal Medicine
A rectocele is a hernia in the wall that separates the rectum from the vagina.

A hernia is a bulge that forms when the support tissue within the wall is damaged or weakened. Other areas of support in the pelvis can also be damaged. For example, a hernia in the front wall of the vagina that separates it from the bladder is called a cystocele. The general name for these conditions is pelvic floor prolapse.

Gynecologists are trained to evaluate and treat prolapse. Specialists called urogynecologists have added expertise in treating these conditions, especially when surgery is needed.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.