What is the cause of Hirschsprung disease (HD)?

Hirschsprung disease (HD) develops before a child is born. Normally, nerve cells grow in the baby's intestine soon after the baby begins to grow in the womb. These nerve cells grow down from the top of the intestine all the way to the anus. With HD, the nerve cells stop growing before they reach the end.

No one knows why the nerve cells stop growing. However, we do know that HD is not caused by anything the mother did while she was pregnant.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Your Gut and Heart Health Connection
Your Gut and Heart Health Connection
What does your gut have to have to do with your heart health and other chronic diseases? A lot. In the past few years, scientists have been investiga...
What is a rectocele?
Dr. Lauren F. Streicher, MDDr. Lauren F. Streicher, MD
Rectocele is a condition in which the tissue that supports the floor of the vagina becomes so thin t...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
How Can I Detoxify My Digestive Tract Naturally?