How can I stay hydrated if I have diarrhea?

Make sure you're getting plenty of the right kinds of fluids. A clear-liquid diet can help keep you hydrated and may help stop your diarrhea. Avoid sodas, especially those with caffeine -- they may make your symptoms worse. Instead, opt for plain chicken broth; clear, noncitrus juices; and plain water. Take frequent sips rather than drinking large amounts all at once. If you can't tolerate even small amounts of fluids, suck on ice chips.

Use this simple recipe for a quick -- and effective -- rehydration drink.
  • 1 quart (4 cups) water
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon "lite" salt or salt substitute in addition to the table salt (if you don't have any, it's fine to leave it out of the recipe)

Mix all ingredients until dissolved. Remember to take small, frequent sips rather than drinking large amounts all at once.

Continue Learning about Diarrhea

Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
In 1984 Parker Bros. launched an Atari game that offered a new set of thrills: It was a treasure-hunting, puzzle-solving adventure called Montezuma's ...
When should I see a doctor about diarrhea and bloating?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Diarrhea and bloating are usually caused by bacteria, viruses, parasites, certain medicines, food in...
Is diarrhea dangerous?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
Acute diarrhea diseases are among the leading causes of mortality in infants and young children in m...
What Work Is Being Done to Fight Diarrhea in the Developing World?