What is a catfish recipe for people with diabetes?

Fish is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which helps maintain a healthy heart. In this recipe, chef Michel Nischan pan-fries catfish and serves it with a Southwest-spiced tartar sauce. The result: A delicious, healthy entrée that's very low in carbs -- perfect for people with diabetes.  

Click below to watch chef Michel Nischan make this spicy seafood dish.

Pan-Fried Catfish with Southwest Tartar Sauce

Ingredients

1 wild catfish fillet
1-1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp roasted garlic cloves, smashed
2 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp canned chipotle peppers
1 pinch ground cayenne (red pepper)
1 pinch black pepper, freshly ground
1 pinch salt (sea salt, if available)
grapeseed oil cooking spray
watercress sprigs (for garnish, optional)

Directions

1. In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, mashed roasted garlic, chipotle pepper, and cayenne. Mix well and set aside.
2. Season both sides of catfish evenly with fresh black pepper and sea salt.
3. Heat skillet over medium-high until it is hot enough for drop of water to sizzle.
4. With oven mitt, briefly remove pan from heat and lightly coat with grapeseed oil or olive oil spray.
5. Place catfish in skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until nicely browned. Reduce heat to medium, turn fillets and cook for 2-3 minutes more, or until the catfish flakes easily.
6. Transfer to serving plate. Spoon tartar sauce over top. Garnish with watercress leaves, if desired. Serve immediately.

Makes 1 servings
Note: Optional items are not included in nutritional facts.

Calories 307.5
Total Carbs 0.7 g
Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
Sugars 0.1 g
Total Fat 21.3 g
Saturated Fat 3.4 g
Unsaturated Fat 17.9 g
Potassium 425.7 mg
Protein 26.2 g
Sodium 310.3 mg

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Screening and Diagnosis for Diabetes
Screening and Diagnosis for Diabetes
Diabetes is easy to prevent—if it's caught early enough. It's also the seventh leading cause of death in the United States, a fact that should motivat...
If I have diabetes, how can my period affect my blood glucose levels?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
If you have trouble keeping your blood glucose levels on target just before your period starts, you ...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
What's My Role In Managing My Diabetes and What Is My Doctor's Role?