question

Can I eat sweet potatoes if I have diabetes?

Marisa Moore
Marisa Moore on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
answer

Absolutely! Sweet potatoes are perfect for any plate but especially for people with diabetes. Compared to white potatoes, sweet potatoes are lower on the glycemic index and deliver chart topping vitamin A for eye health. The fiber helps with blood glucose control and weight management and the potassium helps control blood pressure.

One important note... Take care to prepare your sweet potatoes without all of the added sugar, butter or marshmallows that many recipes call for. Go beyond the norm and try sweet potatoes roasted, mashed or even pureed into soup.

dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
answer
One sweet potato contains 26 grams of carbs, but that’s partially offset by the 4 grams of fiber. Sweet potatoes contain healthy phytochemicals, too. One idea is to eat just half a sweet potato (topped with butter rather than sugar) and pair it with a protein food.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How To Test Your Blood Sugar Levels At Home
How can you tell if your diabetes management plan is working to keep your blood sugar levels in your target range? An important way is to monitor your...
Should I use carbohydrate counting or the glycemic index for my diabetes?
Should I use carbohydrate counting or the glycemic index for my diabetes? Research shows that both t...
Is diabetes contagious?
Diabetes is not contagious. Learn more from our experts about diabetes.
Are sports drinks okay for people with diabetes?
These aren’t necessarily the best choice for hydration maintenance for people with diabetes. Learn m...