Can I eat sweet potatoes if I have diabetes?

Judy Caplan

Yes diabetics can eat sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes contain carbohydrates which can raise blood sugar levels. However if you eat the right serving size of a sweet potato you can control the amount of sugar you take in. Also what you put on the potato is important. Avoid added sugars or sweeteners.

Marisa Moore

Absolutely! Sweet potatoes are perfect for any plate but especially for people with diabetes. Compared to white potatoes, sweet potatoes are lower on the glycemic index and deliver chart topping vitamin A for eye health. The fiber helps with blood glucose control and weight management and the potassium helps control blood pressure.

One important note... Take care to prepare your sweet potatoes without all of the added sugar, butter or marshmallows that many recipes call for. Go beyond the norm and try sweet potatoes roasted, mashed or even pureed into soup.

One sweet potato contains 26 grams of carbs, but that’s partially offset by the 4 grams of fiber. Sweet potatoes contain healthy phytochemicals, too. One idea is to eat just half a sweet potato (topped with butter rather than sugar) and pair it with a protein food.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Why should I keep personal identification with my diabetes tools?
Personal identification should identify you and your medical condition(s) in case you become unconsc...
What fruits should I eat if I have diabetes?
What fruits should I eat if I have diabetes? If you have diabetes, your blood sugar will be best ser...
How is insulin injected to treat diabetes?
Most people use needles to inject insulin. Most types of needles are coated to minimize pain while i...
What should I do if I take other medications along with diabetes drugs?
What should I do if I take other medications along with diabetes drugs? Tell your doctor about all m...