Is it possible to swallow your dentures?

It is possible to swallow a denture, but not very likely. Due to the size of a full denture (one that replaces all of the teeth), swallowing it is extremely rare. A partial denture (one that only replaces some of the teeth), especially the smaller partial denture called a nesbit, is more likely to be inadvertently swallowed, but this too is rare. To prevent the possibility of swallowing a denture, make sure you do not sleep with your denture in your mouth and also make sure they are well-fitting.
Peggy Rosen
Dentist
The only time you can swallow the denture is when you break the denture, which is made of acrylic, into small pieces or the artificial tooth breaks or gets chipped. The size of the denture makes it too difficult to swallow as a whole. 
It may be possible to swallow certain types of dentures, but it usually doesn't happen on a regular basis. Because complete dentures cover the entire jaw, they're often too large to swallow. They may slip or move while eating or talking, but they are not usually swallowed during daily activity. Usually, dentures are only swallowed if people wear them while they sleep or if the dentures don't fit properly. Some types of partial dentures may be small enough to be swallowed, but they're generally attached too securely to be swallowed by accident. Again, this usually happens only if the denture is damaged or ill-fitting. Nesbit dentures, a type of small denture that's used to replace one or two back teeth, are more likely than others to be swallowed, so dentists recommend other types of dentures instead.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

Three Herbs That Sweeten Your Breath
Three Herbs That Sweeten Your Breath
Can't stand the sting of mouthwash, but want sweeter breath? Set down the Scope, and pick up a pinch of one of these herbs instead: parsley, basil, or...
Should I cancel my dentist appointment if I'm feeling sick?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you feel up to the visit, keep it -- unless you've got a fever, strep throat, can't breathe well ...
7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth
7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth7 Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth
From sipping sugary sodas to chewing on pen caps, some common habits are terrible for your teeth.
How to Brush With Charcoal Toothpaste
How to Brush With Charcoal Toothpaste