Does dental insurance cover gum disease (periodontal disease)?

Periodontal (gum) disease is a bacterial infection of the gums, and treatment for this (potentially) progressive infection may be covered by your dental benefits plan. Early in the infection, periodontal disease is called gingivitis; later on, as the infection gets worse, it is called periodontitis.

Depending on your specific plan, your insurance may cover part of the cost of an extra cleaning to prevent gingivitis from progressing to periodontitis or part of other procedures you need, but in some cases you may be stuck covering the cost. If your benefits come through your work, call up the benefits office. Otherwise, call the number on your dental benefits membership card to figure out what will be covered. And then, go brush your teeth for two minutes and floss afterwards -- it’s an easy (and cost efficient!) way to prevent gum disease. But do floss daily and get your gingivitis and periodontal disease treated because these predispose you to heart attacks, strokes, impotence, memory loss, type 2 diabetes, and even miscarriage. Periodontal disease is that serious.

Continue Learning about Dental Insurance Plans

What is a direct reimbursement (DR) dental plan?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Direct Reimbursement (DR) is a self-funded dental benefits plan that reimburses patients accordi...
What is not covered by a dental plan?
Some dental plans do not cover pre-existing conditions, such as missing teeth. Others may not co...
What if I can't afford dental insurance?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Dental insurance actually often may provide only limited amounts of benefits per year due to the ann...
Can I pick my own dentist with dental insurance?
Sometimes. It depends on what type of dental insurance you have. Fee for service dental insurance pl...