Can I get dental implants if I don't have teeth?

Dental implants are for patients without teeth. You can relate them to an artificial root that is strong that will be placed in the jaw. Once placed the dental implants can have attachments connected; these attachments allow the dentist to place crowns and bridges or a removable denture.

You can get dental implants if you don't have any teeth. In fact, dental implants may be used to replace a single tooth, several teeth or to support a full set of dentures. If you are in good general health, with a jawbone that can support an implants, this treatment may be an option for you. With implants, your health is more of a factor than your age. Patients should be medically evaluated before any implant surgery is scheduled. Patients either must have enough bone to support the implant, or be good candidates for surgery to build up the bone where the implant will be placed.

With careful treatment planning and good oral care, dental implants can provide a healthy, stable smile for a lifetime.

Yes you can. Dental implants are meant to replace teeth. They are titanium posts surgically implanted into your jawbone and are stabilized through the bone. When people have been missing teeth for a number of years bone begins to subside as a result of disuse. Check with your dentist to see if implants would be the best option for you. If you have a good amount and quality of bone, they are the ideal option to replace teeth. 
Whether you've lost one tooth or all of your teeth, you may still be a good candidate for dental implants as long as your overall health is good and you have enough jaw bone to support the implants. If you have symptoms of gum disease, your dentist may recommend that you see a periodontist to treat and restore your gums to a healthy state before the implant procedure begins. More than two-thirds of adults lose one tooth by age 44. By age 74, more than one-quarter of all adults have lost all of their teeth, according to the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. For many people, dental implants provide a way to chew food and talk normally. 

Continue Learning about Dental Implant

When are dental implants used?
John B. Nase, DDSJohn B. Nase, DDS
Dental implants can basically be used in any situation where there are one or more missing teeth. Of...
How should I take care of my dental implant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Dental implants are posts that are surgically placed in the upper or lower jaw, where they funct...
Is there a non-metal dental implant?
Dr. Anthony SclarDr. Anthony Sclar
For many years, Titanium dental implants have been the standard for replacing a missing tooth or te...
How do I know if I am a good candidate for dental implants?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
Your general dentist, along with an implant specialist, will determine whether you're a good candida...