When should I call my dentist if I have complications after a crown?

The question "after a crown" can be divided into at least two parts. The first part would involve tooth build-up and preparation for the crown, including placement of a temporary crown. If you have questions, problems or discomfort you should contact the dentist for his/her opinion, or even an in office evaluation. The possible problems include, but are not limited to, sensitvity of the tooth, gum irritation or bleeding and tenderness on biting.

The second part would involve fitting and cementing of the crown restoration. The tooth should feel comfortable in place and the bite should feel normal. In addition, you should be able to clean around the crown and between the teeth. If there is discomfort or gingival bleeding, or if you have questions or concerns, it is important to call the dentist as soon as possible.

After a crown procedure or crown lengthening, contact your dentist or periodontist if any of the following occur:

  • You are bleeding and it does not stop
  • You are still in pain even after taking medication
  • You have signs of infection such as pus, excessive swelling or inflammation, or discoloration of your gums or teeth
  • Bandages fall off
  • You have swollen lymph nodes

Continue Learning about Dental Crown

When should I call the dentist after getting a dental crown?
If you've had a dental crown placed, you can expect some numbness around your mouth if you've ha...
More Answers
What are the risks of getting a dental crown?
The risks associated with dental crown placement include risks that can happen with any dental p...
More Answers
How will I know if getting a dental crown was successful?
A successful dental crown placement is one in which the crown fits over your tooth well and line...
More Answers
How long can a temporary crown last?
Temporary crowns are only made to last until your permanent crown is made by a dental laboratory; us...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.