Is it difficult to eat with a dental bridge?

It is normally not difficult to eat with a dental bridge, particularly if the bridge is fixed and not removable. This type of dental bridge is sealed to the support teeth, which are connected to the fake tooth (crown). With a fixed dental bridge, you can chew, spit, swallow, lick, and sip.

If you have a removable dental bridge, eating may be more problematic, as the bridge may pop out while you're eating.

If you have a dental bridge, you should have no trouble eating. In fact, if the bridge is supporting new implants or dentures, it can improve your eating function. Sometimes called a fixed partial denture, a bridge replaces missing teeth with artificial teeth and literally “bridges” the gap where one or more teeth used to be. Bridges can be made from gold, alloys, porcelain or a combination of these materials and are attached to surrounding teeth for support. A fixed bridge can only be removed by a dentist. There are also removable bridges that can help improve your chewing or speaking.

Continue Learning about Dental Bridge

What is a dental bridge?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A bridge is a dental appliance that replaces missing teeth with artificial teeth. Watch as Dr. Maria...
How long should I wear a removable dental bridge?
Your dentist can explain how long the removable bridge (a restoration that replaces or spans the...
How many visits does it take for a dental bridge?
A dentist usually needs two visits to complete a bridge, but more visits might be necessary. This is...
How should I care for my dental bridge?
Larry K. Litman, DDSLarry K. Litman, DDS
You should care for your bridge like you do any of your other teeth. Brush, Floss, etc. Yes, there a...