Why is the service dementia caregivers provide important?

Dementia caregivers, such as spouses and adult children, provide a needed and valuable service both to the care recipient as well as to society. They can save the healthcare system millions of dollars by continuing to have the person with dementia home in an environment that’s familiar to him or her. In doing so, these caregivers save the country the costs of institutionalization, which average $70,000 to $90,000 per year, making this a huge service to society.

Continue Learning about Dementia

How to Get Diagnosed and Treated for iNPH
Idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus (iNPH) is a form of dementia that often masquerades as Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s, but isn’t either of those ...
What should I do if I suspect a loved one has dementia?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
You should take them to their primary care physician, if they have one. If the patient is already pa...
What cognitive functions are affected by dementia?
Abigail Ryan, PhDAbigail Ryan, PhD
The cognitive functions affected by dementia depend on what type of dementia a person has. For examp...
How Many People Does Frontotemporal Dementia Impact?