How safe are sedating antidepressants for people with dementia?

Sarah N. Mourra, MD
Neurology
Oftentimes, doctors will use sedating antidepressants for sleep issues in people with dementia. A very common one is trazodone (Desyrel). This medication came out in the 1980s as an antidepressant but was so sedating that it was found to be better as a sleep medication. The side effects, like any medication used for sleep, include oversedation, confusion and falls, but it tends to be less of an offender than the benzodiazepine class of medications.

Continue Learning about Dementia

What Are the Financial Perils of Dementia?
Besides the changes to their physical and emotional health, people with dementia lose their capacity to perform the financial tasks of daily living. ...
Can I get a doctor's note when flying with a person with dementia?
Dr. Linda Ercoli, PhDDr. Linda Ercoli, PhD
It may be very helpful to have a letter from your loved one’s doctor when you're traveling. This is ...
How can I make airport security easy for my loved one with dementia?
It can be very scary and extremely tiring for someone with a severe memory disorder to travel. Airpo...
Is There an Increase in Neurological Disease?