How safe are sedating antidepressants for people with dementia?

Sarah N. Mourra, MD
Neurology
Oftentimes, doctors will use sedating antidepressants for sleep issues in people with dementia. A very common one is trazodone (Desyrel). This medication came out in the 1980s as an antidepressant but was so sedating that it was found to be better as a sleep medication. The side effects, like any medication used for sleep, include oversedation, confusion and falls, but it tends to be less of an offender than the benzodiazepine class of medications.

Continue Learning about Dementia

How to Get Diagnosed and Treated for iNPH
Idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus (iNPH) is a form of dementia that often masquerades as Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s, but isn’t either of those ...
Is it okay if I want to take a trip without my loved one with dementia?
Dr. Linda Ercoli, PhDDr. Linda Ercoli, PhD
As a caregiver of someone with dementia, it's important for you to take care of yourself. Remember, ...
How does being a dementia caregiver affect one's immune response?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Dementia caregivers are subject to compromised immunity, more days of infectious illness and even di...
5 Reasons to Prevent Heart Disease
5 Reasons to Prevent Heart Disease