How quickly does dementia progress?

David B. Reuben, MD
Geriatric Medicine
Dementia progresses at different rates for different people. Some people with dementia decline rapidly -- over a period of two to three years. Other people have had eight to 10 years with the disease, and others have had very stable levels of functioning and then a precipitous decline at the end.

Continue Learning about Dementia

News: Study Finds Heavy Drinking May Increase Risk for Dementia
Drinking heavily—or abstaining entirely—during one’s middle years are associated with an increased risk of developing dementia later in life, compared...
How can I include my child when visiting a loved one who has dementia?
Alzheimer's Foundation of AmericaAlzheimer's Foundation of America
While it is important to include children, it is just as vital to consider their feelings. Address t...
Is there a cure for vascular dementia?
Dr. Stephen T. Chen, MDDr. Stephen T. Chen, MD
There is no cure for vascular dementia, and no Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved medicatio...
At What Age Does Dementia Set in for Down's Syndrome Patients?