How can I include my child when visiting a loved one who has dementia?

While it is important to include children, it is just as vital to consider their feelings. Address the fear factor by helping them have special moments with their relative who has dementia. If their loved one uses inappropriate language or easily becomes angry during the visit, explain that this behavior is not personal or intentional, but that it is part of the disease. Youngsters' excitement can be contagious. Singing songs together can strike a chord for someone with dementia. Or having an elder teach dominoes to children is a good way to foster interaction and make your loved one feel they have something to offer.

Continue Learning about Dementia

Study Links Common Meds to Increased Dementia Risk
Anticholinergics are among of the most common types of drug prescribed—with one study estimating that they’re used by 20 to 50 percent of Americans ag...
What can help keep my loved one with dementia safe if we get separated?
Dr. Linda Ercoli, PhDDr. Linda Ercoli, PhD
Consider an identification system for your loved one with dementia, which can help should you become...
Can I get a doctor's note when flying with a person with dementia?
It may be very helpful to have a letter from your loved one’s doctor when you're traveling. This is ...
Can Diet Protect Me from Dementia?
Can Diet Protect Me from Dementia?