Why is dementia often undiagnosed in the elderly?

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
Dementia frequently goes undiagnosed in the elderly. Sherri Tucker-Neff, a former assisted living activity director, agreed that most sons and daughters don't have the time or the means to take care of their loved in their own homes. She also noted that sometimes they don't even realize when it is time to reach out for help. "If the kids are not with them a lot, dementia can be covered up and they can not see through it. We see it. You can have a perfectly normal conversation and think everything is all right. The kids will call and ask, 'What did you have for dinner, Mom? How is this or that?' They can answer every question for you and then five minutes later they would not have a clue. When that happens, you run into the incidents of leaving the stove on, forgetting where the keys are and stuff like that. And if you are not around, you wouldn't necessarily catch it."
Who Moved My Dentures? 13 False (Teeth) Truths About Long-Term Care and Aging in America

Who Moved My Dentures dispels 13 different myths about long-term care and aging in America as told through human interest stories of people the author has met through his work as a healthcare...

Continue Learning about Dementia Diagnosis

What is the prognosis for multi-infarct dementia (MID)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
The prognosis for individuals with multi-infarct dementia (MID) is generally poor. The symptoms of t...
Why do doctors do brain scans of people with suspected dementia?
David B. Reuben, MDDavid B. Reuben, MD
Most of the time, doctors will do an imaging study if they suspect a person has dementia. This may t...
Is It Helpful for a Patient to Know About a Disease That Is Incurable?
At What Age Does Dementia Set in for Down's Syndrome Patients?