What can a doctor do for a callus?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

A callus is usually not dangerous or painful. If it does begin to hurt, it may be overlying a nerve, or it may be a sign of an anatomical problem. For example, people with bunions on their feet usually form deposits of dead tissue there to cushion the protruding bone at the edge of the foot near the big toe. Hence, the callus is covering and padding the real problem. In a case like this, I advise seeing a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon. A dermatologist can pare down the top layers of a callus with a surgical blade, but it will return if the same action or friction on the area is repeated or if an underlying medical problem remains. I would trust a doctor, but not a nail technician, to perform this simple procedure, and do not try it yourself since it is easy to cut too far and hit living tissue.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Corns, Calluses & Bunions

Should I Worry About This Bony Bump on My Foot?
Among the many joys of getting older—along with gray hair, wrinkles, and mid-section bulge—are bunions, those annoying bony bumps that form on the sid...
What medications help treat bunions?
If you have a bunion, your doctor may prescribe medication to relieve your pain. This may include no...
What can I do about bunions on my feet?
Bunions are often genetic and not easy to fix, but there are some things you can do to help. To lear...
Are Your Feet Growing as You Age?
Are Your Feet Growing as You Age?