How do I measure the amount of salt I add to food?

Take the "shaker test" to find out how much salt you typically add to your food. Cover a plate or a bowl with foil or plastic wrap. Now salt your "food" just as you would if the dish contained a meal.

Measure how much salt you added. If it was 1/4 teaspoon, you added almost 600 milligrams of sodium to your meal, and 1/8 teaspoon adds about 300 milligrams.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Spice Up Your Dishes to Cut Back on Salt
If you want to cut back on the salt shaker, spice things up with your dishes. According to the results of a study on decreasing salt intake, eating ca...
How can I add vegetables to my meals?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
If you have trouble getting enough vegetables into your diet, you can try to add vegetables to your ...
How can I make healthy barbeque dishes?
The following are healthy options for a barbeque:"Prime" cuts usually have more fat than "choice" ...
What Has It Been Like Applying Science to the Kitchen?