How can using an artificial sweetener instead of sugar affect a recipe?

If you decide to use artificial sweeteners when baking or cooking, there are a few important things to know:
  • Baked products may be lighter in color because real sugar has a caramelizing/browning effect and artificial sweeteners do not.
  • Volume may be lower in cakes, muffins, and quick breads because artificial sweeteners do not have the same bulking ability as sugar.
  • Texture may be altered in some baked products, especially cookies.
  • Taste may be slightly altered if you are sensitive to the sweetener's aftertaste.
  • Cooking time of your baked goods may be slightly different when using artificial sweeteners.
  • Sugar naturally holds in moisture and increases keeping quality so baked products with the sugar removed will not keep as long.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Cheat Sheet for Low-Sodium Cooking
Cheat Sheet for Low-Sodium Cooking
Follow this quick checklist of sodium-slashing food-prep ideas every time you make a meal and you could be enjoying better blood pressure before you k...
How do I make a healthy St. Patrick's Day meal?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
You can fix up a traditional St. Patrick's Day meal while maintaining a healthful eating plan. H...
How can I make a healthy tuna salad?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
Tuna fish is a great source of protein and making tuna salad is an easy way to enjoy it. To keep you...
Do People Realize the Extent of the Diabetes Epidemic?