question

Why is chicken soup good when you have a cold?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy
answer
Chicken soup is good when you have a cold for several reasons. First, it helps keep you hydrated. You need at least eight glasses of fluid a day when you’re sick. Second, the steam from chicken soup helps relieve a congested nose and throat. And finally, some researchers believe that substances in chicken soup reduce the inflammation associated with a cold.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

How to exercise safely during cold and flu season
Worried about coming down with a cold or flu and what that can mean for your exercise regimen? Feeling under the weather and don't have the energy to ...
Can exercise keep you from getting sick?
You may know someone who seems to get sick less often than other people. There are many reasons why this may be the case. Many things can affect the i...
Should I use a nasal spray for my cold symptoms?
Nasal sprays can be used by adults for a very short time. Learn more from our experts about using na...
When should I see a doctor for a cold or flu if I'm pregnant?
If you are pregnant, you should call your healthcare provider immediately if you have flu symptoms t...