Why is chicken soup good when you have a cold?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
In fact, chicken soup is good for soothing both cold and flu symptoms.  The hot soup helps break up the congestion associated with both colds  and the flu. The salt in the soup and its warmth can soothe a sore throat. A 2000 study claimed to have shown that it also has anti-inflammatory  properties, which can relieve congestion too, although this is still uncertain.
Chicken soup is good when you have a cold for several reasons. First, it helps keep you hydrated. You need at least eight glasses of fluid a day when you’re sick. Second, the steam from chicken soup helps relieve a congested nose and throat. And finally, some researchers believe that substances in chicken soup reduce the inflammation associated with a cold.

A scientific study found that chicken soup has anti-inflammatory properties. In particular, it relieves congestion by reducing the movement of white blood cells in the upper respiratory tract.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Can Sex Help You Beat Cold and Flu Season?
About 20 years ago a Scottish researcher postulated the reason Goldie Hawn, Joan Collins and Helen Mirren looked so good was because they had very act...
What are the benefits of a flu shot?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Flu shots can help prevent illness altogether or at least lessen the severity and length of symptoms...
What cough medicine can I take if I'm pregnant and have a bad cough?
Dr. Anthony L. Komaroff, MDDr. Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
"Guaifenesin" is the active ingredient in many cough medicines, such as Robitussin. It is safe to us...
Could I end up in the hospital due to flu complications?
The flu can lead to several complications that could land you in the hospital. These potentially ser...